- Construction of the Health First's Viera Health Park in Viera, Florida has been halted due to a nearby nesting pair of Crested Caracara. The birds are considered threatened by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and could end up on the endangered species list.
- Dimitri Gregorieff launched the one-man Seabird Rescue Foundation to save pelicans tangled in fishing line and educate anglers on how to safely remove hooked birds instead of simply cutting the line. He searches marinas and piers off the coast of Florida almost daily and has found up to 10 injured birds a day. He then transports them to animal hospitals that treat the birds for free.
- Students from the University of Louisiana placed first in the Great Texas Birding Classic - one of the largest birding events in the United States. The team of five students headed by ornithology graduate student, Richard Gibbons, saw 201 different species of birds along the upper Texas coast in a 24 hour period.
- Audubon of Florida biologists are educating beach-goers and boaters to be careful of beach-nesting birds such as terns, Black Skimmers, Snowy and Wilson's Plovers and American Oystercatchers. Disturbances from recreational use of nesting areas on the beach could distract the birds and negatively impact egg incubation.
- Scientists in the Netherlands have found a link between climate change and population decline of migrating birds such as the Pied Flycatcher. Their research indicates that early onset of warm weather causes the birds staple food, caterpillars, to emerge sooner. This, in turn, may negatively affect food supplies for nestlings.
- Scientists in Vietnam are calling for drastic measures to be taken in order to save rare bird species in the Central Highlands region of the Dac Lac province. Despite various national parks, forests and sanctuaries, rare bird species are threatened by dwindling forests, habitat destruction and illegal hunting.
- One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Columnist Richard Hoath reflects on how bird flu fears and ecotourism are impacting Egypt.
(0) Comments • (0) Trackbacks • Permalink